CLIENT: ACCOR SOFITEL
In 1758 Lord Ligonier, Colonel of the 1st Foot Guards, appointed his secretary, Richard Cox, as regimental agent. Cox was responsible for the payment of officers and men, and the provision of clothing. Over the next 150 years the business steadily grew, so that during the First World War it was writing 50,000 cheques a day. After the war, in 1922, it merged with private bank Henry S. King and commissioned a grand new headquarters at St James. Designed by E. Keynes Purchase in association with Durward Brown, it is now regarded as one of London’s neoclassical masterpieces.
In 2002 the building was acquired by Sofitel and transformed into a 125,000 sq ft luxury 5-star hotel. French designer Pierre-Yves Rochon created a modernist luxury interior with nods to the traditional private members' clubs that the area is renowned for.
The 183 bedrooms were refurbished in a £16M project also led by Pierre-Yves Rochon. Rochon’s modern take on Art Deco was complemented by Perrin & Rowe’s Traditional brassware, with both basin mixers and bath filler specified for every bathroom.
The Sofitel St James was featured recently in the London Evening Standard’s list of London’s Famous Hotels. “When it comes to understated sophistication” they wrote, “the Sofitel London St James has that je ne sais quoi...”